Sunday 24 March 2013

80's Classic

Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986)
I love 80's classics. 'Ferris Bueller...' is just awesome. I can't think of a better way to describe it! Somehow John Hughes has managed to write and direct a film that, if you think about it, is completely unrealistic - who would really be allowed to bash out Beatles tunes on a float without getting
arrested after the first 'shake it up baby now' - yet it still seems realistic to me. Maybe it's because we've all skived off once or twice; it's a rite of passage! It's ironic that he's skipping school yet knows all this computer stuff! He doesn't even need schools with those skills.
On paper this film sounds like another stereotypical film about teenage deviancy portrayed in a comic light, however Matthew Broderick's cocky and annoying, but loveable portrayal of Ferris makes it such a great watch. Only problem is, I can't not watch Jennifer Grey in this film and think 'Nobody puts Baby in the corner'-maybe its the pink jacket. Nevertheless she's an incredible actress and I love the little cameo from Charlie Sheen!
This film makes me feel so immature; laughing at the coughing fit he plays on the keyboard, the chorus of black people doing some utterly bizarre dance moves to Twist and Shout - I have a lot of growing up to do. ( Did you know Matthew Broderick is the voice of Simba?!)
I just want to watch this film again...right now! Let's face it, its what we wish we could do on our days off!
Favourite Quotes: "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."
"This guy in my biology class, said that if Ferris dies, he's giving his eyes to Stevie Wonder."

No comments:

Post a Comment