Sunday 24 March 2013

How do I Define History...Boys?

The History Boys (2006)
Set in 1980s Britain, a group of eight extremely talented boys are taught by two eccentric teachers on the way into Oxford and Cambridge to read History.
I made the stupid mistake of watching this film whilst in themiddle of an essay for school, meaning I wasn't focussing much on the film itself which I regret. When the boys went to their interviews was when I put my essay aside and focussed on the ending, realising 'actually I should've watched the whole of this'.
Nicholas Hytner has directed one of those films which you have to focus on to truly appreciate, and which you then go away forcing all your family to watch it with you again. (This is what I'll be doing!) However, we can not ignore the INGENIOUS writing which is that of British gold, Alan Bennett. Previous to this I had only ever seen and read Talking Heads for my English Literature A-Level.I found the monologues quite funny, but not nearly as funny as this relatable classic.
Sometimes it's hard to bring Plays off the stage and in front of a camera, but this adaptation seems, at first glance, pretty flawless; "A triumphant crossover from stage to screen"(Phillip French) - plus its funny to see James Corden and Dominic Cooper in their youth.
Without meaning to sound like a joke, the best part was the ending. Firstly the twist involving Hector (Richard Griffiths) was unforeseeable as I thought the film had ended the scene before. But the best part was the revealing of the boys adult lives. It was such a simple and non-over the top way of showcasing their adulthood - like something of an a-level drama play - yet it worked so well!
Again the cast list was pretty damn awesome!! Definite must see.
Favourite Quote: "How do I define history? It's just one f***in' thing after another."

No comments:

Post a Comment